1. On October 3, FBI agentsseizeda laptop, an iPhone, and an iPad from disgraced former Congressman Anthony Weiner, as part of the investigation into a report that he was sexting a 15-year-old girl.
2. While searching the laptop, FBI agents uncovered new emails that are likely connected to the agency’s investigation of Hillary Clinton’s private email server.
3. The laptop was used by Anthony Weiner and his wife Huma Abedin andreportedlyhas 650,000 emails on it.
4. Earlier in the investigation, Huma Abedinswore under oath in a deposition that she had turned over the devices that may have been used to email Clinton: two laptops, a BlackBerry, files she found in her apartment.
5. Huma Abedin reportedly did not know about emails that were on the computer the FBI discovered. “The possibility that this device contains any emails of hers is news to her,” a source familiar with the investigationtold CNN.
6. Anthony Weiner is cooperating with the FBI’s investigation, according to Fox News anchor Bret Baier.
7. FBI Director James Comey wasreportedlyinformed about the new emails last Thursday. He notified Congress the following day.
8. Comey had testified to Congress that the investigation was complete. He sent a letter on Friday to both Democrats and Republican members of Congress to clarify that the case remained open.
9. Justice Department officials tried to stop James Comey from sending the letter, according to the New York Times, warning that it would be a break of longstanding policy.
10. Investigators believe that some of the emails deleted from Hillary Clinton’s private server are on this laptop, accordingto CNN.
11. Many of the emails were “either sent to or from the private email server at Mrs. Clinton’s home,” according to theWall Street Journal.
12. Officials received acourt order during the weekend to investigate the emails. The process has begun, but it will take weeks, according to several sources.